Sunday, January 11, 2009

Headed home in 2009…

(I wrote this a little over a week ago but headed to Jacksonville, FL to celebrate Amy’s life before being able to publish it.)

My namesake, who happens to be my great Aunt passed away yesterday. She was much more than my great Aunt. Although, Amy Lee was my grandmother’s younger sister she was a stand in grandparent to my sister, brother and me as our grandparents passed away when we were much younger. She was big Amy and I was little Amy.

It is just like her to go home on New Year’s. She never wanted to miss a party or family gathering and usually she was the one planning the next get together. She was known as the Matriarch of our family. She was an honorary grandparent for both my wedding and my sister’s this summer. She frequently made the trip from Jacksonville, Florida to NC. As we were growing up it was she and her husband, Curtis who would make the road trip but after he passed away she continued to visit, flying here for extended visits. She even made it to my college graduation. She walked the land with my parents at the lake before the land was cleared for our lake house and she helped my mom and I furniture shop when the house was first built. She and her husband Curtis spent many Halloweens with us as we were growing up. I am pretty sure they ate just as much candy as we did, if not more. She loved food and loved to talk about food. Amy Lee had macular degeneration so she had a difficult time seeing. But she would pull us in close and inspect every bit of us and then would want us to make sure she looked okay. Her lack of sight did not stop her, as she was up-to-date on the most recent movies, artists, etc. In fact, not too long ago she went on cruise to Alaska, even going White Water rafting. She rarely said, “no” to anything, especially family. She even made it out on the dance floor at almost all the family weddings. She loved all her family well. She prayed for us fervently. Her friends knew all about us and we knew all about them. She loved to tell stories and jokes. One night Kevin and I even put her on speakerphone so she could share some of her better jokes with our small group.

I have spent the day crying in disbelief that I will not get to hear her voice just one more time as well as smiling as floods of memories I have shared with her came to mind. I have heard her say over and over, “The Lord’s been good to me.” He sure has Amy but we are surely going to miss you. Amy also never missed an opportunity to tell us that she loved us. She would always be very direct and tell us specifically she loved us, using our names. I love you, Amy and am thankful we will celebrate again with you one day.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Those Kenglas said...

There was none like her and she did love us all so very well! I loved reading your post because it captured her so well and I could hear her saying and doing all those things!! :)

What a blessing God gives us in remembering! I love you!!

margeaux said...

Very sweet post, Amy. I am sure she is looking down on you all with very clear sight knowing how much she is loved by you and how much she loves you. xoxo

Melissa said...

what a beautiful tribute, amy. you were named by her, rightly, as many of the things you said about her, i see in you. i'm sad i didn't get the chance to meet her here, but i know i'll meet her one day!