Thursday, June 17, 2010

A to Z


Well, almost. More like A to V. This was this mornings "art" project. I have many creative, artistic friends and I myself am not. So this was one of my better moments at making learning come alive. Since the 1st of January we have been doing an uppercase letter a week. In the midst of life we have missed a week or two but for the most part we have stuck with it and as you can see we are so close to wrapping up the alphabet. This morning we went through the alphabet looking through magazines. I asked Anna to first pick out an "A," then a "B" and so forth. She picked each letter out all by herself and we left room for W,X, Y and Z. You might notice there are two "O's" This is because the first "O" was identified as a "rectangle O" by Anna. Yes, it is a bit odd in shape (block style lettering) and then she picked out just a regular,plain old "O."

Anna was given, "My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts" by Susan Hunt for Christmas. This is what jump started our alphabet learning and each week we use this book to learn our new letter as well as the corresponding bible verse. It has taught mommy just as much as Anna and we have been blessed. We have both hidden God's word in our hearts. We have recommended this book to many. I am excited about going back through it again as we learn our lower case letters. Now how to explain there are two of each letter?!
Side Note (more so for my memory): I can't count the number of times a day I hear, "What does ____ start with?"
Also, most every letter we have learned has a specific word associated with it. She will say, "T for ____." Most of them are for people's names.
Anna will also sometimes say, "What does "A" (or another letter) start with?" Meaning what are some words that start with that letter.
She is really starting to associate letters with words.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Those Kenglas said...

Loved this post! :)

Meghan and Ben said...

Cute. I love this. Amy, you are a great Mommy!